Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Holly Jolly Christmas!

Update: That third image looks really bad against the black and purple of the blog. Picture it against a cream or a white. :)

I know I really missed the boat on posting these Christmas designs in a timely manner, but I didn't think about posting them here until a few days ago. And then I was lazy. :) I made them for my sister who wanted some digital scrapbook-like images to mix and match.


Details: I know they're nothing revolutionary, but for my lack-of-being-able-to-make-scrapbook-paper, I was happy. Most of the others were much worse, if you can imagine. :) I made these in GIMP. I inserted a photo of a wooden door that I took and used that as overlay and background to get a textured look on the holly. I then used GIMP's cool paint brush copy feature* to produce multiple hollies at different sizes and so on. I did some recoloring and other stuff, but you get the idea. :)

*If you select an area in GIMP, copy the selection, and then click on the paint brush tool, you will see the selected area as the first paint brush tool option when choosing which brush to use. It's amazing! You can still resize the brush like normal and continue to paste until your little heart's content. :) I kept pasting hollies at different sizes, then copying all of my new hollies together in order to paste and re-paste them. Among other things, this tool really helps in simplifying what would otherwise be a time-consuming copy-and-paste job.

No comments: