Monday, October 20, 2008

Picture Manager Follow-up

A few posts ago I raved about Microsoft Office Picture Manager and showed some pictures I edited only in that program. I got a follow-up question about if I did some effects to the makeup in Picture Manager as well. For those particular pictures, I only used the digital applications of brightness-contrast and color enhancements (which --of course--changes the makeup but only in a way that transforms the entire image as well). The makeup visible in the pictures were from me breaking down and putting on lots of makeup in real life. I know it's hard to believe I opted for real-life makeup over digital, but what can I say, I must not have been thinking. :)

Anyway, I wanted to clarify for everyone the limitations of Picture Manager. For isolated effects, i.e. wanting to add makeup to eyelashes, Picture Manager wouldn't be my weapon of choice. Picture Manager, unlike GIMP for example, doesn't offer paint brushes and other tools to select effects for particular portions of the image. For the most part, Picture Manager is an all or nothing kind of a guy. :) It's great for changing colors and brightness and tones for the entire image, but if you need specific touch ups on select areas--choose a program like GIMP. Or, mix and match like I do.
For a recent picture I worked on, the initial editing was all done in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, but I still wanted to make just the lips darker. So I simply flipped over to GIMP, selected my lips and changed the coloring and levels.

No comments: